PIG:Impact Validation Protocol

Hi @arky Come to think of it.there must be a lame reason why the intended beneficiary didn’t really get what is rightful allocated to them.

1 Like

Hi @buildwithannu Thank you for the insight and that’s the idea of LinkedClaims that its a minimal semantic vocabulary that can be used across different use cases and domains.Here might be some useful source stuff at LinkedTrust

1 Like

SO many use cases for the proposed impact protocol (meatspace, cyberspace, web2, web3) and a lot of opportunities to update the incumbent protocols. It’s great to see you’re already working with non-profits and organizations doing this work as well and could hit the ground running :slight_smile: Donation-based, crowd voting/-sourced funding experiments are really taking off so this feels very timely.

4 Likes

Absolutely! Integrating LinkedTrust into the Impact Validation Protocol for educational initiatives in Afghanistan could significantly enhance its effectiveness. By leveraging LinkedTrust, stakeholders involved in these programs can verify the authenticity of media content, such as photos and videos, showcasing the implementation and impact of the initiatives on the ground.

For example, organizations running after-school programs could use LinkedTrust to validate images and videos demonstrating the resources provided to students, the activities conducted, and the overall progress of the program. This verification process would enhance transparency and trust, ensuring that the promised resources are indeed reaching the intended beneficiaries.

Moreover, LinkedTrust’s decentralized verification mechanism adds an extra layer of security and reliability to the validation process, mitigating the risk of tampering or manipulation of the media content.

Overall, integrating LinkedTrust into the Impact Validation Protocol for educational initiatives in Afghanistan would not only boost transparency and accountability but also increase confidence among donors, stakeholders, and the communities involved, ultimately maximizing the positive impact of these programs.

2 Likes

This is great work and can be leveraged across all other nonprofit organization.

2 Likes

Hi @Zakia Thank you so much for your input on this! and yes our system is the game changer it can be used across different use cases and domains.

2 Likes

Hi @naligirl Thank you so much for your input!

1 Like

Looking at CAIP

We’re definitely interested in making LinkedClaims compatible with the emerging CAIP standard. Our current implementation is not far off, as we already have a Verifiable Credential vocabulary (https://cooperation.org/credentials/v1/) that was referenced in a Rebooting the Web of Trust paper (rwot11-the-hague/final-documents/composable-credentials.pdf at master · WebOfTrustInfo/rwot11-the-hague · GitHub). We also use DIDs and CIDs for identifiers internally. To output our data in a CAIP-compatible format, we would need to store an additional signature to sign over the blob.

However, we chose a slightly different vocabulary to track a possible source different from the issuer, in case the issuer sourced the data from a document. This allows us to distinguish between the signer (a spider or a person) and the source of the data. Additionally, our vocabulary supports other types of claims beyond trust scores, as a richer domain can result in stronger signals. For example, knowing someone earned funds or GitHub badges, while not directly a trust score, can be a useful signal.

Interestingly, the US Chambers of Commerce Foundation is considering using LinkedClaims to validate self-asserted skills credentials. This suggests that our Verifiable Credential vocabulary may also be applicable in the learner badge domain, potentially enriching the open data ecosystem.

We’re excited about the possibility of aligning with CAIP and would be eager to explore this further during the project.

3 Likes

I do think this is heavily underrated discussion and often ignored in the public goods sector.

Unlike commercial projects, public goods does not have a by-default North Star Metric (ROI in commercial maybe ?). It could vary across different projects.

I would really want to see the report in the impact validation protocol realm, and hope I can apply it to a real world project and see the positive feedback. This is what we truly are in desprate need.

6 Likes

Hi @affeisme Thank you for the comments.

1 Like

This is great! Me and my team are building a suite of products that could benefit from this. We’d be happy to review the results of this project :+1: :clap:

6 Likes

Thank you so much @Marc518

1 Like

AFAIK the people who have been prototyping linked claims and lobbying for its building blocks to be added to the VC core data model are largely coming from the skills/education-credential community, which encompasses the openBadges world but also a more private/user-managed VC world as well. Some teams within the US Chamber of Commerce Fdtn have been watching this community prototyping/modeling work closely for some time-- it is of great interest to forward-thinking policy folks in DC that these patterns and toolchains be validated a bit before they can be held up as an alternative to the walled-gardens and tollroads that currently pipe around verified educational and employment credentials. That said, it is all a smidge early to make any statement about Chamber of Commerce Fdtn, as prototypes of different sizes and stakes move on vastly different timelines.

The CAIP is a draft standard being proposed by a team building out a deliberately narrow scoring vocabulary-- but they are quite explicit about their vocabulary being project-specific, and extendable by folding in more vocabularies. Pay close attention to the use of credentialSchemas and @Context files, which are both ways of extending a system to more streams of data-- one for shape, the other for semantics. In theory, this could mean both open data and privately-held/authorized-only data, although in practice it gets pretty complicated when you’re building a graph that’s sized differently for different navigators. I am just an editor of that spec at CASA, which is a fairly scrappy, mostly-volunteer org that facilitates collaboration on things like this-- I have no deep expertise in their use-case, and only superficial familiarity with the skills-marketplace-building that the original linked-claims work came out of.

In any case, glad to hear this is relevant work, I can try to rally interlocutors when this work is underway.

4 Likes

No, actually it is a fact that this team (that is, the larger equity-cooperative LinkedTrust that Agnes was referring to, that she and Gitonga are members of) is a master contractor for the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation, they have a signed SOW for a pilot, and are in direct touch with the head of that foundation. I met with them last week at the LER conference in Phoenix and can attest to this - I am an advisor for the team.

Thanks for the point tho, this wasn’t clear in the earlier comment!

5 Likes

that would be Taylor Hansen and Jason Tyszko. Its a small focused pilot only about attestations to self-asserted skills claims, but yes they are definitely interested in the potential of Linked Claims. The contract with the US Chambers Fndn would not pay for the Impact Validation work specifically, but it builds on the same protocol and base vocabulary.

Here is a pic I took at the LER conference, sorry it was not a proofmode pic :slight_smile:

@bumblefudge ^^

5 Likes

In my opinion it is at a pivotal tipping point, if the common vocabulary for LinkedClaims could get this traction to build an open data ecosystem across these domains. That is why I’ve encouraged Gitonga and Agnes and the team to try to quickly work in parallel in both domains, and not only focus on the exciting-but-small pilot with the chamber fnd.

4 Likes

Ah, nice, i was erring on the side of downplaying because I didn’t know how much $$/public commitment USCoCF was putting behind that project! Glad to hear the ASU event was a debuttant ball for the capital-P Pilot. Phil looks like a proud dad in that photo :smiley:

I definitely agree that piloting an extension of the base vocab in a new use-case/domain/vertical would be a great parallel-validation project for the vocab and the tooling, and a right-sized project for SoP! Lest my habitually weird tone imply otherwise.

4 Likes

yes! just to be clear “this team” meant the linked trust equity cooperative not agnes and gitonga specifically, tho i believe gitonga has some role in the work. the linked trust larger team is doing work weighted earned governance accross different cooperation-related projects but i didnt want to confuse things by trying to explain…ha i guess now i have! but anyway this application belongs to gitonga and agnes personally and it will be up to them to engage collaborators.

5 Likes

Hi I am Margaret I vouch for this app I am not a techie but the conversation involved here is worth an ear.I live in kenya and the situation with donations not reaching the intended beneficiaries is rampant here. I feel this brings the solution to a long term problem in our society and helps elevate the grassroots organizing that do too much without recognition.Thank you for this! Yay :tada:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for you input @Margaret