Emergent protocols in digital streets and underground utilities?

Is anyone familiar with work in the US on standardized protocols for street data sharing? That process is very much analog through USAs. There are new startups like civilgrid.com . I also understand that Japan has a much more integrated digital infrastructure here. Curious if anyone’s working on this or has seen any promising vectors of inquiry. Thanks much!

More context
From a talented innovation fellow a the water utility I work at:

While Underground Service Alerts provide an established mechanism for seamless data sharing across essential utilities during underground infrastructure work, similar integration across various software tools within the utilities is still lacking.

Different software tools often operate independently, leading to inefficiencies. This challenge presents an opportunity for improvement. There is a need for a standard protocol to bridge these gaps and enhance the efficiency of water management systems.

Recently, I encountered a company using the California Metering Exchange Protocol to facilitate data sharing across water utility applications. Although this protocol has its own strengths and limitations, integrating such protocols could address significant obstacles in data management and distribution within the industry.

1 Like