Standards Make the World

Originally published at: Standards Make the World - Summer of Protocols

Technical standards are the quiet rules that give shape and direction to civilization. Alongside private organizations and public institutions, standards bodies form a third and critical function in modern society. When theyā€™re well designed, standards can become enabling technologies, like the Internet or shipping containers. Studying the past two centuries of standards-making helps make theā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s some sort of evolutionary jump between standards and protocols. I still havenā€™t been able to wrap my mind around what exactly that is.

1 Like

Maybe standards are just professional protocols.

Standards work emerged alongside Taylorism and the professionalization of science and engineering. They have a sort of coevolutionary dependence on commerce and industry.

Both protocols and standards constrain the variability of somethingā€¦ Protocols seem necessarily process-oriented, whereas standards can be about objects or things, as well as processes

2 Likes

Standards as sets of physical constraints that shape/enable their corresponding protocols

1 Like

still chiming in with ā€œa standard doesnā€™t have to be a protocol and a protocol doesnā€™t have to be a standardā€.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t have to be physical, right?

1 Like

Maybe ā€œmaterialā€ or ā€œstructuralā€ is the word Iā€™m looking for (something that could also encompass code etc)ā€¦or this could just be the distinction between hard vs soft protocols thatā€™s been discussed.

cf Lang p.6 ā€œThe commingling of terms hides their utility.ā€

standards feel more like filters than protocols ex. ā€œis according to (standard)ā€ and maybe makes it more commingling-able

protocols feel more like channels than standards ex. ā€œthrough (protocol)ā€

there might be overlaps in conception ex. ā€œfollowing (standard)ā€ and ā€œfollowing (protocol)ā€

1 Like

Standards show the benchmarksā€”could be subjective because these can be a mix of our belief systems, best practices, and we set up these standards for how we think of something and work in a certain way, and why so. Protocols sound more like a set of rules to define the flow of context, of information, of decision models, of any progress from A to B.

Standards are models, protocols are contracts

Nice. About ā€œstillā€: what was the context in which this was first mentioned?

Iā€™m writing a couple of essays on standards and protocols as part of the Autonomy and Cohesion series.. I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, and pointers regarding comparing standards and protocols. Itā€™s clear that some protocols are standards, but disregarding that, what do you find as important differences beyond the fact that time/sequence seems to be intrinsic for every protocol and not for every standard?

It definitely succeeded in making standards seem more exciting.

I was particularly interested in the ā€œcommercial diplomacyā€ idea. It outlined the failure mode of when large interests ā€œrent seekā€ via standards. I couldnā€™t help but internalize this as ā€œstandards captureā€ (a la ā€œregulatory captureā€, ā€œaudience captureā€ and ā€œelite captureā€*).

• *a meme? Ash Ketchum with a poke-ball roster of all these captures

This made me think of a feature of protocols that might be covered under ā€œlegitimateā€, but felt more like ā€œorganicā€ or ā€œrepresentativeā€. They must be made sufficiently in the interests of the people that will actually use them and/or will be affected by them.

Iā€™ve heard of a few examples of dominant players creating thorough ā€œstandards racketsā€, by owning the standard, a large entity that needs to use the standards (to encourage adoption) and the means of judging the standards (e.g. in the case where it requires certain types of data), and causing all sorts of shenanigans. Carbon was mentioned in the essay and I think there are probably some good examples in various climate regulations, but donā€™t know of any specifically.

Protocols: steps of a process to achieve a determined outcome

Standards: tests to determine whether something (including processes) have a determined quality (fair, safe, constitutional, etc.).