Protocol Kit Recipients

As promised this is live. Will improve it over the next week or so, but it’s live.

Would really appreciate any comments, criticisms etc.

Cheers :v:

2 Likes

I recently received my physical ProtocolKit and I wanted to thank vgr and the whole team for the consideration and making something physical. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt that sort of buzz when opening something up that’s both initially beautiful and entertaining but also—without hyperbole—motivating. The closest similarity I could think of was getting a used copy of Half-Life at a local Software Etc. several decades ago. Simultaneously something immediately entertaining and stimulating but also a sort of challenge to build something and make it your own.

It also feels like I’m in a secret society but not one of the bad ones—they all say—just slightly evil.

7 Likes

Gm :sunny:
What a beautiful surprise to receive the Protocol Kit! The Giveth House and I are stoked to dive deeper into it.
While I’m away from the House in Barcelona, here’s a photo of it just out of the box.

5 Likes

Great to have received my kit. Looking forward to digging into it and using it to refine my approach to amateur research and to exert agency in a new venture :smiley: gotta finish a current read (Mukherjee’s The Gene) first before it’s kit time, though. I will post some shots of it in action in the future but for now here’s a somewhat staged pic with one of my protocol study buddies.

7 Likes

Hi, everyone! Grateful to have received a Protocol Kit in mid-February. I’ve spent the last four years designing personal knowledge systems, which has involved deep questions about time, change, knowledge-sharing, and education. Finding this field, and especially the essay below, has been instrumental in validating and defining my ideas. As you can see, I’m pairing essays with my own resources on the topic. In December, I completed 10 weeks of deep research on how to develop, structure, and visualize knowledge over time, as a mentee with the Data Visualization Society. Publishing that work shortly and possibly turning it into a book. Other than that, I’m extremely interested in the emerging field of institutional design (governance protocols) and plan to apply for a related academic program in the fall. Looking forward to connecting with you all more!

7 Likes

Super grateful to have received a toolkit.

It not quite summer yet in London but looking forward to raising the temperature with some of these articles.

Attached is my reading this spring/summer <3

8 Likes

Bit delayed here but wanted to thank SoP for the Protocol Kit! I took advantage of the physical copy to go to a local park and start reading through the kit. I really enjoyed Standards Make the World the first time I read the digital version so I decided to re-read it. Looking forward to using these as a way to spark my creative thinking and inspire the way I approach building the current project I am working on. Thanks again!

4 Likes

Inspired by receipt of my Protocols Kit, a few weeks ago, I recently published some thoughts on how protocols are an important part of any strategist’s toolkit. Here’s a taster … "Protocols can apply to strategy in two ways:

Firstly, they can define how to ‘do’ strategy. We can think of this as ‘protocolising’ the process of developing and managing strategy. How do we scope a new strategy before strategy development starts? How do we go about developing a new strategy, once scoped? How do we secure the adoption of a strategy across the organisation, once developed and launched? How do we meaningfully measure both the progress and impact of the strategy, once adopted? How do we retain strategic agility, as operating circumstances change across the strategy’s lifespan?

Secondly, protocols can be used to drive the changes mandated by strategy. We can think of this as protocolising the aspirations of strategy. How do we become more customer-focused? How do we enhance front-line customer support through the use of AI? How do we optimise merchandising, price discounting and stock surpluses? How should we evaluate and decide on expansion into new territories or markets? How can we increase margins without loss of market share?"

Big thanks to the whole Protocols Kit Community for the great initiative. I will be digging deeper into protocols for strategy over the coming months.

7 Likes

Great starter contribution to what I hope will become a whole sub disciple of protocols for business strategy and org theory

2 Likes

Got a notification a couple months ago that an unexpected, mysterious package was arriving… even tried to do some sleuthing with the print-on-demand service but never would have expected this! Something that immediately came to mind was how beautiful this physical, tangible testament of protocols, which I’d normally see as very abstract, was and how refreshing it was to hold a big binder full of interesting work as opposed to scrolling through social media.

Such a treasure trove of research and thinking — I’ve been swamped with final exams and a move recently, but I’ve been savouring pieces as a little treat/break. Looking forward to spending more time annotating, writing up my own notes, and lending this out to friends.

Very grateful to have received a kit and apologies for the long delay in posting this :face_with_peeking_eye:

(Old photo: it’s now been signed and very much personalized!)

5 Likes

I am pleased to have received the second part of the protocol kit today :sunny:

6 Likes

second batch in, already loving ‘Artificial Memory and Orienting Infinity’ by Kei Kreutler.

5 Likes

Looking forward to dig into this!

4 Likes

Received the second package on Friday and excited to dig in. Addressable spaces already made a conceptual dent in my head and educated me a bit more about the built environment. Looking forward to reading the rest. Thank you to SoP team for the research, and for making it accessible to level up our protocol literacy.

5 Likes

Second part of the protocol kits are just arrived. I can not wait to read them with my cats.:slight_smile: These days, I am hardly working on a builders camp (hacknbreak.com) for this summer. So the protocols will be hot topic in a vary themes. Want to be in touch all of you to exchange ideas. Loves from OpenCampus.<3

4 Likes

Delighted by the second pack! I’ve been defining design patterns for visualizing ideas over time, so I was delighted to see the focus on time, space, and memory. The essays have been so stimulating and helpful for finishing my work. My favorite essay so far is “Addressable Space” :nail_care:

5 Likes

Yay! Still away from the house, but happy to keep receiving the kit! Folks from the Giveth house are super happy too.

2 Likes

Part 2 has arrived :sunny: Especially looking forward to @spencerc99’s memory pouch segment.

2 Likes

LATE to the party but here we go!

Finally had time to dive into my folder and loved expanding my understanding of protocols through its relations to architecture (Aaron Z. Lewis), traffic jams and urban environments (Drew Austin) and the history of standards making (David Lang).

Thanks to @rafa for signing me up as a kit fellow. Looking forward to the next editions. Greetings from my studio in Berlin :wave:

2 Likes

The third (dangerous) protocol kit package arrived yesterday. Thank you SoP.

2 Likes